Monday, December 04, 2006

GOAL!!! ... CHAVEZ



Last night was the football semi-final.

Mexican war-cries:
Chivas.. Chivas (Team name translation: goats, sorry .. .rams)
It's a sentiment I can't deny
It's a drug I don't want to quit.

Which boy band wrote the lyrics, that's what I want to know.
They don't rhyme because it's a translation... and I suspect I cut and pasted between different songs.

Me, and 120 thousand fans. Given that they've banned the Mexican wave in Australia... any behaviour more enthusiastic than that of cadavas was going to be exciting, but yes! what a great bunch of fanatics.

This game was a big deal, but even for a 120 thousand people who spent days lining up for tickets... noone could muster one lousy goal. That's why we love Aussie Rules, because the score is always in the hundreds. Maybe I exaggerate.

I was wondering why I had the urge to cheer for the other team... I mean, they were all tiny specks on the horizon so what difference did it make. But for some reason every time I saw a yellow jersey, I wanted to scream encouraging words. Only halfway though the game did I realise the subconscious link between YELLOW and MY BRAIN.

MY COUNTRY. Green and GOLD aka YELLOW.

Came home after a few festive cervezas to find an email from the International desk asking me to file on Chavez victory in Venezuela. Good old Hugo, threw in a few Bush 'devil' references for colour in his victory speech.

At least someone scored...

Chavez... Chavez...
It's a sentiment I can't ...

No comments: