Monday, March 26, 2007

WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE

Another week, another great weekend. To my chagrin, Gaby's party was situated in Santa Fe. It's one of DF's most cash-flushed suburbs, meaning that by implication everyone at the party would be bankers.

They were. It was really fun. We drank strange cocktails of cucumber, vodka, lemonade and ginger until I forgot that I was the most under-dressed person in the room (note to self: always ask location of party) and danced to Spanish pop songs.

The next day we drove back to Santa Fe for some pool time with Francine and Cachai.

M: Hey Gaby, check out that unrestrained child between his mum's legs in the front seat. (not noticing that the seat is located in a Porche)
G: Oh yeah, that's the owner of Televisa (main TV network here). Check out the envoy of cars behind them.

Three cars full of bodyguards. I mean, what would the bodyguards in the third car even DO if there was a problem? They'd still be arriving by the time Televisa's owner was dead, or the unrestrained kid had been plucked from the car by kidnappers.

Kind of ironic, that the kid's got six big burly men watching him but is probably more likely to die from flying through the windscreen on Mexico's crazy roads.

From then on we did a bodyguard-spotting exercise. Gaby - who went to school with lots of girls whose bodyguards had to accompany them to the movies - would point out a bodyguard-type car, and sure enough ... a big man would step out and help the little darling alight from the vehicle in front.

Lunch was fun, apart from a freak accident involving red wine and the sofa - AGAIN. I haven't even been eating that much beef lately, so I'm not sure where the karma is coming from this time.

Francine had just finished complimenting me on my jeans and shirt, I'd just finished admiring Cachai's couch, and Francine's red wine choice (Argentina) and then, bang, all the worlds collided. There was the tiniest patch of water on the kitchen floor as I was carrying two full glasses into the living room.. and well, you can guess the rest. Jeans. Shirt. Sofa.

Hooray for soda water. Consider that my handy household cleaning tip.

Ignaki drove me back to ... yes, Santa Fe for dinner. Absolutely stunning, and yes, he cooked.

And then the next day, back to Santa Fe to watch movies. Kind of starting to wish I either had a car, or fewer friends living in Santa Fe.