Tuesday, March 27, 2007

EVE'S BAD APPLE: iTunes

Responsible for all the evil in the world.

One of the downsides of being stuck on the other side of the world, is that I don't have access to techs. I HATE technical stuff, so much so that I have never downloaded a song from iTunes until today.

Finally I did, in order to mix in a package on Cuban poetry. We buy the copyright, but do you think that makes a difference to whether it's a protected file or not?

No.

So iTunes has locked everything so that you can only play it on Apple devices.

What next?

The advice from my favourite tech on the other side of the world was "that's why using iTunes is a bad idea."

Oh. Good.

Well, Rhapsody (copyright free music) is not available in Mexico. The other copyright-free websites didn't have my particular ditty - Ruben Gonzalez, Campestre.

After going to all the trouble of finding and downloading JHymn (a conversion program) it can't seem to find my library. Changing my input channel to stereo mix (so as to record into Audacity - editing program - from within my computer) resulted in massive feedback and white noise.

So eventually I had to walk down to the camera shop, buy a CD, export to CD, rip it into Window Media Player, and then import it to Audacity.

Most notable quote from the famous poet I was editing was, "Cuba is amazing. What other country in the world has a population where every person can read?"

Apart from being wildly untrue.. ummm, what's the point of being able to read if you can't choose what you pour into those literate eyes of yours?

No comments: