Tuesday, October 24, 2006

TOUCHDOWN

I'M IN MEXICO!!!!

Yes, it's a miracle, as I left the small detail of packing and downloading all my music and photos onto laptop until 10 hours before my 7am departure from home. Hence, no sleep. I've left the place looking like a department store where someone had an epileptic fit.

Having not slept in the 3 days preceding departure, then sleeping for the entire 30 hour journey exluding layovers and meals, I feel a little as though I've been hit by a train... or a bus.. even a taxi. Any vehicle bigger than me really.

I stink. That's a long time without brushing teeth or washing body. Grab my bags and load myself up.. large backpack on back, medium backpack on front, shoulder bag over top, camera bag perched on wheeled suitcase with no centre of gravity, and duty free carry bag in other hand.

Somehow I squeeze all of us into the bathroom to clean my teeth.

I clear customs |again| and burst through the gates as quickly as anyone carring 6 bags can burst, eyes tuned for Ara... eyes gradually becoming accustomed to hundreds of unfamiliar faces none of which belong to her.

Hmmm. I have her phone number. I go to the cash machine, build a pyramid of my various bags, take money out, dismantle pyramid, load myself back up again. Refuse offer from kind man to use his mobile phone, go to convenience store for phonecard, put down bags, take out wallet, pick up bags, go to phone etc etc.

Thing is, the card doesn't work. I seek verification from various innocent bystanders and they all agree.

I accept another man's kind offer to use his phone. Still no action.

Go and buy an iced mocha and end up with a cupful of chilled cream. Go back to phone. Spill chilled cream all over bags in attempt to dial number.

Get someone else to dial for me.

She answers. Turns out I'd forgotten to send her the flight number and she was waiting at the other gate.

We exchange rapidfire conversation all the way to the apartment, and finally I'm 'home'.

No comments: