Monday, August 13, 2007

GIRL FROM IPANEMA



Well, almost. We~re moving from one dodgy hotel in Gloria to another dodgy hotel in Ipanema tomorrow.

Brazil: I saw in my birthday surrounded by gay men watching Witney Houston drag - for researching purposes. We were in Le Boy, which has become more Le Dirty Old Man in the intervening three years since I was last here. Back then, it was gorgeous guys as far as the eye could see, and amazing go-go dancers as high as the eye could see. Hence our return, as I~ve promised DNA magazine and 3000 word feature on straight male go-go dancers who sell sex to men.

Like much of life, the years have robbed it of its beauty and youth.

Still, I managed to find two pleasant little cuties who I like to think of as "Where's Wally: the couple"






I saw the birthday out doing some good solid navel-gazing, and resolution-making. My 20s were hard, but for a reason. I~m happy to be here, at this age, and full of hope.

Today is a little stressful because I~m not sure where we~re going to find aforesaid go-go dancers, if we~re so out of the gay loop in Rio. Also, Fern~s involved in some international sting operation involving a kidnapped French child, a remote town in Brazil (his current home) and Interpol. And he~s also illegal at the moment because he~s overstayed his visa. That combined with his on-again-off-again relational difficulties have left things a little strained.

Also, I can~t smoke as I am 30. I~m looking at the future and it~s so smoke-free I~ve gotta wear shades, that just isn~t quite so joyful in this precise moment.

No comments: